Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Fancy Poster Tutorial

The Scream
I bought The Scream by Edvard Munch poster for two reasons, 1-It's one of my favorite paintings & 2-The colors matched my living room. When I bought the poster it was on a cardboard, so I bought those cheap poster frames and it didn't do it any justice. Yes, I know it's only a poster, but even a poster can look awesome if placed in a really cool frame. I had an old torn cardboard picture in a tacky colored frame that was given to me at a flea market. Nancy knew that I like to repurpose things, so she said to take it & make something out of it. The poster was larger than the frame, so I knew I would have to cut it down to fit. Trying to match the poster to an old frame would prove to be difficult.
The Scream was painted by Edvard Munch in 1893. He wrote in his diary that he was inspired by the colors in the sky he saw as he was walking one day. He wrote that the sun was setting, the clouds looked blood red and that he sensed a scream was passing through nature. Edvard Munch painted many more beautiful paintings, so you may wish to use another of his or another poster all together. We all interpret art in our own unique way, my interpretation on this is too long and may make You scream, so let's begin with the tutorial.


Items needed-
Old painting with a cool frame
Poster of your choice
Cheap plastic poster frame the same size of poster
X-Acto Knife
Needle nose pliers
Spray paint
Sandpaper 
Yellow or Orange markers
Goggles
Scissors
Tape



1- Remove old art from frame.









2-Remove all staples with pliers. Discard staples.
3-Sand lightly & clean off dust with dry clean cloth.








4-Paint the front & sides. No need to paint the back, no one will see it & you save paint for other projects.








The poster frame will come with plastic sheet cover, poster sample, cardboard & plastic frame sides. Separate each piece. Toss the sides.









Place the old art work on top of plastic(place something under plastic so it won't scratch).
Mark with light colored marker, yellow or orange will do. Place on a surface that cannot be damaged with knife. Score the plastic two or three times on all sides.








Goggles on, carefully separate a little at a time.Then place plastic on your poster & sample poster to mark where you want to cut with scissors. Cut cardboard with X-Acto knife after its been marked.
You will need all the pieces to use as filler for frame.
1-Frame
2-Plastic sheet
3-Poster
4-Sample poster
5-Cardboard


Once you have all the pieces in that order inside the frame, tape the back to hold in place. Make sure you push securely into the frame, so the plastic will not be loose. If the frames has a sawtooth hook on the wrong side for hanging, you can either leave it and buy a new one or remove to reposition it.

Well here it is! I know the picture is crooked and it's a little difficult to see the nice detail in the frame, but I didn't want my reflection in it. I will post a better picture soon on blog or my Facebook page. I hope this inspires you to go out to your local flea market or secondhand store and save beautiful frames from some not so nice "art".