Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Pec Thing


Home of the Pec Thing





When I moved to Illinois many years ago, I was happy that I had ended up in a small town that I had longed for as a child. It had a small grocery store, gas station, a very small library and a couple of antique stores. I enjoyed spending the day walking from shop to shop chatting with the local dealers that would gather for coffee & ciggies at Big D's antiques. When I mentioned that there were some items that I could use that they didn't carry, they directed me to the Pec Thing. They gathered around me & told me the tale of this awesome antique/flea market that was a vintage lovers dream. They told of the sights to be seen, the incredible deals to be made, all the treasures to be had...I was getting light headed.
Surely, I would have go on a perilous journey to get to this amazing place?  Nah they said, just get on the highway and drive here and then there, after that there you go. I got chills just thinking about how close I was, but they did mention that I should visit soon for it was only open two weekends in the year, one in the summer and one in the fall. No matter, as long as I could go just once and see for myself this amazing retro wonderland.....
That was over 15 years ago and have been happily antiquing ever since. When I worked I would request the same two weekends off every year for 12 years straight. My supervisor would just automatically write it down. My family will plan something of there own knowing this is mom's weekend. On occasion my husband & my little guy will join us, but it can be overwhelming for my little guy. My youngest daughter will go with me the first day(she has a good eye for antiques-I'm a proud mama) and the next day I will go alone. I make lists, take measurements, photos of ideas,  I even take color swatches. I take my usual mini backpack with the following- water & snack (fuel for walking), hairpins & lipstick (a vintage gals must), umbrella (for rain/sun), change of clothing ( too cold or inferno like hot flash) and well, money of course.
The Pecatonica antique and flea market is known as The Pec Thing. It has been around for 33 years and it's held at the Winnebago fairgrounds with 100,000 square feet and over 40 acres. It runs rain or shine, kids are free under 12, free parking & it's only $3 to shop from 8am to 5pm. You can come and go to your car to drop off your purchases with a hand stamp or they will pick up large items for you and place at pick up area. The vendors are kind, most will bargain and they all have everything you could possibly think of. I have never had a problem of any sort with any vendor or fellow shoppers. The town of Pecatonica is small,but they have just the right amount of shops with a little of this and that. 
I will go to other flea markets and antique stores to fill in time while I wait for The Pec. They are all fun, have kind dealers, plenty to pick from and one is my main source of vintage clothing. Yet, The Pec Thing is still on the top, not because I can deal to the dollar, the size of it, the options and so on. It's the simple fact that it takes me back to the memory of Big D, Moe, Mary & Stu a group of sweet, funny, antique loving older ladies & gentlemen that took me in with no questions asked. What a welcome wagon they were and how lucky was I to have known them. They gave me advice, stories, laughter, friendship and of course The Pec.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
Essentials for the vintage gal

10 for a dollar!


Colorful & Creative

Picking at The Pec