Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Miniver dress



  
1942  





This is my Miniver dress. I saw this at a vintage show, tried it on & for some reason walked away. As soon as I got to my car, I regretted not buying it. When I got home, I immediately tried to get in touch with the seller to find out if it had been sold.When she said no and that she would hold it for me, I was thrilled. Luckily she was not far from my home, I picked it up & aptly named it.                    Mrs.Miniver- Made in 1942, starring Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon & Teresa Wright.The movie takes place in small village outside of London.It about how Mrs.Kay Miniver, her family and the rest of the village handle their daily lives during the war. She shows strength & courage to care for her two younger children alone when her husband leaves to help out in an evacuation & her older son joins the Royal Air Force.What follows is so telling about the war and its consequences. 
This movie won six Oscars and once you watch it you will know why. This movie made me a fan of Greer Garson, her beauty,style & incredible talent is truly amazing.
Although Greer Garson does not wear a dress similar to mine in the movie, for some reason it just reminded me of Mrs.Miniver. Maybe it was the simple yet classic look or that fact that it has simply endured after all these years.I'm not sure, I'm just happy that I have my dress. I have started a tradition that when I am to wear the dress, I watch the movie. I hope that when I pass this dress on to my daughter she will do the same, so that neither the dress nor the movie will be lost .



  • Dress- TresYours Vintage
  • Hat & Gloves- Pec.Thing
  • Shoes- Franco Sarto