Friday, February 14, 2014

Ration Bread Pudding

Delicious Bread Pudding



I recently had to postpone a 1960's Mad Men party, due to very bad winter weather. Luckily, most of the food I was going to serve would keep until needed, but not the large loaf of bread I had purchased for my retro Fondue. I had already cut it into cubes and was just about to make the Fondue when the cancellations started coming in. I set the bread aside until I could find a recipe, so that I wouldn't have to throw out the stale bread. I looked through my vintage cookbooks and other vintage sites for recipes that were authentic and simple. I finally found a recipe on one of my favorite blogs...'The 1940's Experiment'. I had to change it a little, when I realized I didn't have the exact ingredient portions, but the recipe is so delicious that it didn't make a difference.





       Ration Bread Pudding
  • 10 ounces of stale bread. Cut into medium sized cubes
  • 2 ounces of melted margarine or butter
  • 1 ounce of Sugar
  • 2 ounces of Raisins
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon
  • Milk about 1 ounce. Enough to moisten bread.
  • extra sugar for a lite sprinkle topping
Place bread in bowl and add about 2 tablespoons of water. Just enough to fluff the bread, but not soak it. Set aside. In another bowl beat egg lightly with fork, till well blended. Add butter, sugar, raisins and cinnamon. Mix well with fork.
Squeeze out any extra water from bread, if any. Add milk. Fluff bread, then add rest of the ingredients together and mix.
Pour into greased pan 9 inch square pan. Half way through baking, Sprinkle a little sugar on top.
Bake at 320 till lightly browned around edges.


*If bread is too wet, cut back milk or too dry add a little more.
*You can use any stale bread. Just make sure to remove any toppings that would ruin the sweetness of the raisins and cinnamon.
*Remember that this is a rationed ingredient bread. If you would like, you could add more cinnamon, raisins or sugar to taste.