Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Shop Small


Support small shops!
Small Business Saturday is November 30th. This is the day when we can show our support for our community by shopping at local small businesses. I thought I would make a small list of my favorite places to shop.   



TresYours Vintage
Vintage Wear
TresYours Vintage Corner - If you have read my blog or viewed my Facebook page, you know that I can't stop talking about TresYours. It may look small tucked in the back corner of the Rockton Antique Mall, but I have easily spent more than three hours in there. You can go in and  put together an entire outfit for any occasion you may have - dresses, handbags, jewelry, hats, shoes, even stockings. The clothes are clean, they are from all eras and are well priced. You can even shop from the ceiling if you look up and notice all the beautiful vintage umbrellas hanging upside down.


Rockton Antique Mall
Antiques
Rockton Antique Mall - The first thing you will notice is the long inviting front porch. Once inside you'll realize why it's called a mall, it's huge! When I first went to the mall, I would walk past everything and not stop to look at anything, my focus was on the clothes and nothing else. I finally slowed down to look at the rest of the vendors and I have found some interesting items for my home and as gifts. It will take you most of the day to really get a good look at everything in the mall, but it will be well worth it. 


Angela's Attic
Angela's Attic - Angela's happens to be directly across from the Rockton Antique Mall and is just as big. The old factory is split into two sides with the main desk in the center and then split into separate spaces for different vendors. They even have a backyard that is opened in the summer with many cool weathered items that are placed on every surface available, so it makes for a fun hunt. Some areas have items hanging from the ceiling, so don't forget to look up or you may miss some awesome finds.


Bargain Barn - (Not pictured) This large building has antiques, records, coin area & even homemade crafts. There is also a second floor with a variety of items hanging on the stair wall as you go up.


A Lovely Reprieve
Jewelry
A Lovely Reprieve - If you don't buy vintage jewelry for fear it may fall apart due to age, or it's simply too expensive, but you still need something to complete your vintage look, I suggest A lovely Reprieve. Their jewelry is handmade, beautifully crafted and have a vintage look. If vintage isn't the look your after, the same piece adapts well to a modern outfit. It saves you money to be able to buy one piece that goes well with any look you want to wear.


Culture Shock
Records
Culture Shock - Once you notice the pickle shaped wine stopper, record shaped coasters, cool t-shirts, cute dresses & hear the cool music in the background, you just can't help being in a good mood. They carry vintage records from different eras as well as the current modern bands. They just recently moved to a larger building directly across from the old building and now have even more space than before to fill with happy.


Other suggestions-
Tillymint's Antiques
The Antique shops of Rockton



 
What I love about shopping small - 
You will find, fun, interesting, collectibles, homemade, one-of-a-kind items that will make for a more interesting find. Plus, who doesn't love saying their item is an original and know that it didn't come from a table that had a hundred more of the same thing.
You get to know everyone and it makes for a nice enjoyable shopping experience. In one certain shop, I can't start my shopping if I don't get my hug and a little chat. 
You know where your way around. I'm not saying things don't change, but there certain areas that must stay and that helps. I have more than once, had to run inside to grab something for a party, gift or even for myself when I regret not buying something at the time, so it helps to know where to find it.
There are more reasons as to why I enjoy shopping small, but I hope that maybe you will come up with your own reasons on November 30th.