Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Halloween memories

Mrs.Lovett is tired of making pies

I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!!! No I'm not in it for the candy, well, ok maybe Recess Pieces, Pop rocks and maybe throw in a couple of Sweet Tarts for good measure. Halloween brings back so many cool memories...Making Jack-o-lanterns with my parents, watching the candles flicker in the pumpkins as we walked from house to house as my friends & I yelled "Trick o' treat, smell my feet give me something good to eat. If you don't, I don't care cause you're wearing smelly underwear"!...Thinking about it now, I probably wouldn't give myself any candy that's kind of rude.
Halloween is special to me, it brings back memories of my father allowing me to stay up late with him and watch the Saturday night horror shows. The movies were mostly cheesy 1950's flicks with menacing spiders, killer ants or giant crabs attacking large cities. They were fun to watch & my father would  add a funny joke or ad-lib a line to make it fun for me. Sometimes the movies were the really awesome classics with the greats: Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney jr..and I had such a crush on Vincent Price. Classic or cheesy films didn't matter, I loved them all, because it really meant I would be spending time with my dad talking about anything I wanted while we snacked on cool treats my mom would make us and watching movies until the wee hours. I carry on this tradition of staying up late watching cheesy/classic flicks with my kids, blankets on the floor, snacks and talking about anything they want. Sometimes we put in a really cheesy movie and turn the volume down low and have our version of Mystery Science Theater 3000. 
Halloween has become a time to frighten people with some really scary movies, costumes & haunted houses, and I do enjoy that as well. I do like some of the newer creepy films, but the old classics are still my favorites. Halloween is fun and the memories I'm making with my kids while watching these films are something I will never forget and I have Mr.Price, Mr. Karloff and especially my father to Thank for that.
Here is a small list of movies I remember watching and suggestions for snacks to enjoy into the wee hours watching frightening flicks....


Good-                                                                                     
(1933) The Invisible man
(1935) The Bride of Frankenstein
(1940) Dr.Cyclops
(1948) The Fly
(1956) Invasion of the body snatchers
(1963) The Raven
(1971) The Abominable Dr.Phibes


Not so good, but fun-
(1953) Robot monster
(1956) The Crawling eye
(1957) Attack of the crab monsters
(1958) Attack of the 50ft. woman
(1959) Plan nine from outer space



 Scary drinks and snacks


Bloody Punch with floating hand
First mix some water with green food coloring, till it looks like a zombie hand. Then fill a plastic glove(make sure it doesn't have any powder) with the water and tie it. Freeze overnight.
Mix the following in punch bowl-
  • 3 cups cranberry juice
  • 1-1/2 cups apple juice
  • 1-1/2 cups grape juice
  • 2 cups caffeine-free cola
  • 1 cup frozen strawberries
Add floating hand that has been cut out of glove and make sure there is no plastic on it. Place in Bloody punch bowl. Enjoy.



Eyeball Eggs
Hard boil a dozen eggs, crack, peel, cut in half length wise, remove yolk and put into a bowl. In another bowl mix 3 cups of water with 4 drops of blue or any other food coloring you would like. Then carefully place egg white into the bowl making sure eggs are completely submerged. This will give your eggs a creepy eye color. Place in fridge till filling is made.

Filling-
  • 2 tablespoons Mayo
  • 1 tablespoon mustard
  • 2 chopped baby dills
  • Egg yolks 
  • Pimentos
Mix all the ingredients until they are all well blended and creamy.
Drain egg whites, remove, gently pat dry. Using a cake piping bag, fill the egg whites with yolks and place on platter as you fill them. Add pimentos to make corneas.

Happy Halloween!!

Vincent Price