Sunday, June 16, 2013

The look for less

When I was finally able to quit my job I was able to wear my vintage anytime I wanted, because I was no longer on call. I had a few items, but I wanted to add so much more to my look without spending a lot of money. One of my goals for my blog is to help anyone that wants to achieve their vintage look know that it doesn't need to cost a lot of money. I have used all of these products for more than a year, on occasion switching if they are no longer available or to try something new.


Makeup
I have very sensitive skin. It's so sensitive, that when I was dating my husband he owned a cat and I would get a rash if he touched the cat. He would have to change clothes before I could even hold his hand. That means I have to be careful what I wear in case it may have something that would cause a bad reaction.

L.A. Colors eye shadows- I wear Wine & Roses for a soft eye to go with a strong red lip color. They have many other options in a tray of 5 colors. They will stay on all day with no creasing. All for a $1.
Bad-Cheap brush and the top of the case breaks off every time.

Wet N 'Wild-Cherry frost silk finish lipstick is my favorite. I have gone through many tones to find a lipstick to compliment my skin tone. I also wear their Mega volume mascara to help out my puny lashes & soft brown brow pencils for a 40's brow. The liquid liner in black is perfect for my 1960's look.
Bad- It's a reasonably priced & a popular brand, so it may be difficult to find.  Stock up.

The foundation, I will switch from time to time due to my constant skin changes. I'll stop switching once they make a foundation that doesn't melt off due to hot flashes. To apply I prefer to use sponge wedge applicator and brushes to apply my foundation or any other makeup. You can find both at a discount store for a decent price, just make sure you tug at the bristles to see if they are secure. If you can, buy a vintage powder puff they are great for blending and are a much better quality.

Nails
My entire childhood I'd bite nails & my mom tried everything to get me to stop, as I got older I finally I realized how nice they would look grown out. I no longer bite them & I love to polish them with a beautiful red that goes well with my skin tone. Sinful colors in Ruby Ruby. I have washed the dishes, scrubbed the floor and other chores, it'll stay on with very little chipping.
Bad- It's thin & will take at least 3 coats to get the right shade. If you don't allow to dry between coats you will get bubbles.


Facial care
If there was a support group for lotion dependency, I would have to join it. I have large bottles, small bottles, thick coverage, light coverage, shimmer or non-shimmer, etc.. I have dark skin that will show any little dry patches I may have, so I must be ready to patch attack with lotion. The Ponds wrinkle and dark spot corrector do help my skin and I like how light they are. No heavy perfumes and the trial sizes are more than enough to last for awhile.
Bad- I have to choose one or the other. Why not combine them, ponds? The wrinkle lotion will get a little sticky, so I will apply then after awhile I'll wash my face. Still worked.  Caution: do follow the directions for wrinkle lotion, it does contain Alpha Hydroxy, so avoid direct sunlight. I forgot and broke out in a little rash, but it did fade the next day.


Hair

My hair is so frizzy that without a drop of product in it, I look like one of those crazy haired pencil toppers.
Suave mousse is light on the hair and not sticky on the hands. It also has a light scent and you can choose the max control you want.
Bad- If you forget to shake before each use it will come out watery & you'll lose more product.
Aqua net is a product I remember my grandmother using on her hair every morning. She would spray so much of it that you wouldn't dare light a match around her. I only use when it's extremely humid out.
Bad- If you over spray it will weigh your hair down & make it hard.
White Rain conditioner saved my hair after over bleaching it. I tried a jar that was recommend by a salon, it cost $16, on sale for $8 and it did nothing to my hair. I was broke so I bought White rain for a $1. I was surprised how quickly my hair turned around for the better. 
Bad- I think others have discovered it as well, because it's sometimes out of stock. I can only find it in one certain store, luckily there are two within my area to buy and stock up on.

Well, now you know some of the products I currently use and love. I hope this helps you out and maybe give you a little more options when choosing products. I know that there are really nice products that cost more money and are worth every penny spent on them, but I personally would like to save as many of my pennies as possible.